As the leading pet behaviour experts in the field, APBC Members have been used by a number of agencies to assess animals and the homes of potential adoptive parents or foster carers. In response to demand, a standard protocol for use in this context has been developed and the APBC can now provide this service via a special network of participating Full Members.
The service is designed primarily for dogs but may also be used for other animals.
The assessment process involves:
- A visit to the home lasting approximately 1 & 1/2 hours
- A report sent to the agency requesting the assessment, to include:
- Owner experience and relationship with the animal(s)
- Exposure and behaviour in various social situations, training background, and health issues
- Practical considerations regarding home environment
- Temperament and behaviour with members of the household, visitors, general public, and children (0-5yrs, 5-10yrs, 10+years)
- A professional opinion on the risks these animals present to children, particularly those with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- Advice regarding the introduction of children and animals
The cost for this service is at the discretion of the individual member providing the service in that area.
List of Members that offer this service: